Thursday, June 9, 2011

Under the Tuscan Sun

When you walk into Tuscana Pizzeria, you get the vibe, a warm unpretentious vibe, a place bustling with good food, people and cheerful banter. Created by Vipin Sachdev and Chef Willi, this is clearly one of the best places to eat authentic Italian fare.  

Just Outside the Pizzeria

On a Friday afternoon I visited this place with a friend. We ordered my favorite soup, the Minestrone col Pesto. It is almost become a ritual for me to order this soup. While we were waiting, we were served some crunchy crudites and dip made of olive oil and basil. 


Finger Food:The bread sticks and the dip made a lovely combo.

 
Minestone Soup
Coming to the soup, this is a traditional vegetable soup with pistachio pesto and olive oil. I really loved that the soup had generous amounts of Italian vegetables like zucchini, carrots, French beans, sweet peppers and white beans. It was incredibly light on my palate with just the right amount of tomatoes and olive oil. A perfect eat and slurp soup which is a meal by itself. Every time I took a sip I was reminded of Ratatouille the animation film and the simple pleasures of home cooked meal. Double muah's to the soup.


For the main course I ordered a foldable pizza, the Calzone Ripieno.

   A folded pizza with mozzarella and ricotta cheese, tomato sauce, spinach and mushrooms served straight from the oven.

First up, it is heartening to know that there are two options to choose from, for the base, the whole meal option and the classic base. The tomato sauce has no onion or garlic. This is a great feature for people who would like to skip the same. I ordered the classic 9" pizza. The pizza was cooked to perfection thanks to the traditional wood fired oven used at Tuscana. The pizza was served hot and I cut up a chunk to check out the emerald spinach and mushrooms inside. Every bite was bursting with "Popeye the Sailor and Olive Oyl" goodness! This was incredibly filling leaving no room for more food but dessert! I sprinkled some oregano flakes to enhance the flavor. Personally, I would prefer to have a thin crust pizza next time.


"Are you a pizza liberal or a pizza conservative? A comprehensive American survey found that while liberals prefer thin crust pizza with a little wine, conservatives take to the deep-dish variety served with coke and French fries."

This was an interesting tidbit I read in the Times of India


For dessert I was craving coffee, but I settled for their famous Panna Cotta.


                Chocolate Panna Cotta layered cake with compote of fresh oranges

The dessert was rich and gratifying. The soft moist chocolate cake played the perfect foil to the tang of orange compote. The monotony of chocolate was broken by the fresh citrus burst; the able sidekick was the cream. Spoon a slice of the cake and eat it along with the orange compote and the next time dunk in the cream. What a life!



                 Tiramisu:Mascarpone,cream,coffee and lady finger biscuits
I just had a spoonful of Tiramisu from my friend's plate and my coffee craving was fixed. The creamy decadence of mascarpone cheese and the spongy ladyfingers with a light hint of coffee was heaven indeed. You can finish this in minutes and still want for more.What a lovely way to end a meal, satisfaction guaranteed.

With food so good, it is not surprising that Tuscana has won many awards to its credit.
Times of India Award 2010 - Best Italian Restaurant
the Miele Guide 2009/2010 - Asia's Finest Restaurant
Burrp.com - Best Wood Fired Pizza 2010

I also make it a point to be seated in a cozy nook close to my favorite picture the wasp shaped Vespa. 

An array of pictures adorning the walls of the Pizzeria.
On the whole it was a delightful experience. I enjoyed the food and will go back for the minestrone soup. This was pièce de résistance for me. This is an ideal place to hang out with friends and family, thanks to its informal setting. So do head out there in droves. Coming to price it is a tad expensive, but these days even the American pizzas are equally expensive. The prices were commensurate with the quality of ingredients used. The service was good. The staff was very helpful and did not rush us Life is beautiful indeed with Tuscana just around the corner!


Many thanks to Chef Willi and Chennai Food Guide for making this happen. A new and spacious Tuscana on Chamiers has opened its doors recently to all lovers of good food. Do make a visit. 

Sending this to the Paisley Passions Party. , Little Brick Ranch, and Food on Fridays

15 comments:

  1. lovely review - had heard about this place in chennai, yet to try it out- next time am in chennai, this will be on the top of my list !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review and your clicks has made it graceful

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my favourite restaurants in Chennai. Love the food, ambience, everything.....btw, have you tried Kryptos by Willi? That's fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Priya,Shanthiji and Jayashree for the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually only go for Indian food when I am in India --may be time to change that rule and try out the variety out there :) And your food photos show you really have incorporated all the photography lessons you learnt just a few posts ago :) Very Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Madhu, Meera and Raks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a feast!! I'm so jealous--and hungry--after reading this. :)

    Thanks for linking this to Food on Fridays. I'm delighted to tour the restaurant and see it's dishes up close and in full color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's sooo sweet of you- will meet when i am in chennai next time !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great place ~ loved all the goodies!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am craving for italian food now,great clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute place. I'd love to eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful review...love the idea of this quite thin minestrone ...normally, they are quite dense and not my favourite... Calzone in thin crust would be rather yummy! I always have a thin crust...so, never really tried the Calzone as there is too doughy...think crust would be brill! Nice space...see you around..
    -Shilpa

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog