Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wheat Halwa





This is a typical Diwali treat at my place and my mom- in- law's signature dish. Just tried this out today. I like this home made version better than store bought ones. Its incredibly tasty and a melt in your mouth treat. It requires a bit of work but worth the effort. So do check out the recipe.

Ingredients

Samba Wheat grains -1 glass( 250 gms approximately)
Sugar-2 1/4 cup ( u can increase if you want it sweeter)
Cardamom pods -10 which were powdered
Cashews-A handful broken
Ghee-10 tablespoons(150 ml approximately)



Soak wheat grains overnight. I added 3 glasses of water to immerse the wheat grains.

Put the wheat grains in a mixer and grind . To extract the milk grind the wheat with one glass of water and extract the milk. The first extract will be thick, the last extract will be watery. I did this procedure thrice. Discard the glutinous mass of wheat. Use a sieve to filter the milk.

The filtered wheat milk will look like this.  If you keep this aside, the milk will remain at the bottom and the water will remain on top. I did not discard the water because the wheat milk will coagulate fast and might get charred if not careful.

Now prepare the sugar syrup. Take sugar in a pan add 3/4 cup of water to the sugar. Start stirring it. Take a little bit of milk and add it to the sugar syrup to remove the scum. You can see the scum in the picture above.

Stir this mixture till it attains a single string consistency. You can check the consistency with your finger.

 The wheat milk has been added to the sugar syrup. Stir this well till it forms a mass. 

Take a little bit of color and add this to the mixture. After this you will have to add cardamom and cashew nuts. You have to keep stirring the mixture well and cannot leave it unattended. You have to keep adding ghee, as you are stirring in stages as it forms a mass.

You can see the I have added the cardamom powder,cashew nuts and ghee and the mixture is forming into mass. The main difficulty in making this sweet is stirring. I had to stir this for 45 minutes.Its better to stir this on a low flame to prevent it from getting charred. This is important if you want to make pieces.


Please check this consistency,  the whole mixture has formed a ball.

Grease a plate with ghee. Put the whole mixture on to a plate. Let it cool. Cut into desired shapes.

Cut into desired shapes. I cut them up into a diamond shape. This was not cloyingly sweet but just right. If you like it sweeter please add more sugar. I got 40 pieces for one glass of wheat.


&

27 comments:

  1. This is my most favorite halwa :) I swear I am drooling right now :) oh so yummy it looks. Wish I could grab the whole plate right now :) Perfectly made. Every time I ask mom for it, she would say its hard to make at home and discouraged me to try it too. Your step wise pics will help me a lot and will make it as a surprise to mom sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so very different, when I saw the name, I thought, oh ok, wheat halwa, but looking through ingredients, recipe and pictures, I can only say wow, I am not sure if I had it before, but looks simply mouth watering, love it and needs so much patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the glossy look n the color of your halwa very much :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect halwa .. i can never ever think of making this hv seen my cook preparing this but not so fab.. love it..perfect demo..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of my fav sweet as a child looks gorgeous and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you got it so perfect ....looks so yum n that lovely colour

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite halwa! There is a short cut method to making it faster by using pressure cooker, may be you want to try it out next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. once you have posted only the picture of this halwa right?? Looks super moist and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow so much effort and love the fantastic outcome.great clicks

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures are definetely worth the efforts you have put in to make these yummy sweet..would like to grab the plate right away

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy halwa...looks colorful n delicious...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow,you made it at home! I know how painful it is to make it,as I have seen my mom making...some times even she gets blisters in her hand coz of stirring! Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. I love this halwa chewy and sweety. Yours is perfect and nice colour. I have one corn flour halwa with this same colour in my drafts. Will have to post it soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that looks so delicious. I have seen this sweet in shops but never could have imagined making it at home. I don't think I still can but you have done a marvelous job with this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Shal, drrolworthy pieces of halwa...yes I would add more sugar because I like it SWEET!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great shalu..!! the colour is very attractive. i do the same kind thought by one of the neighbor granny back in mysore around 20 years back. i use less ghee..!! this looks great !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow!!!!!!!!!!!lovely clicks. Now i know as to why u said it wasn,t easy:-)......tasted very yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. have tried this once!!! a bit tedious process, but a tasty result!!!! Very Mouth-Watering Shalu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I just missed this halwa on our meeting, I thought will have it in end and finally forgot completely :-( Anyway make it for another meet also, looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely ; I am paired with you in the aug 17th blog hop wednesday- this halwa is a yummy contender to be featured on tht day !! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow....home made wheat halwa looks so glossy n delicious...great job!!!
    I am paired with you In august 3rd blog hop Wednesday...u have a lovely space with lots of yummy delights...I have chosen some recipes in my mind...lets c what I am going to try n post it on aug 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. First time here...This halwa looks awesome...so much of effort and should say the final product is very satisfactory...Love the dish...
    Following your space..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow.. so this is how it is made! I love this halwa, but never ever thought the home made version would be so good. Thanks a ton for sharing the receipe. The process and stirring does look frightening, especially for a beginner like me. But I must say, your pictures are re-assuring.. I hope to try this recipe some day, when I feel brave enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow..I tasted this halwa,How painful to make it ,But worth the taste..I guess this is the traditional and best recipe for thirunelveli halwa..Thanks for sharing,Shalini.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shalini,this is lovely,and the step by step pics ,speak for themselves...but tell me what is Samba wheat and can we use any other wheat instead?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog